Friday, March 16, 2012

In Concert: Dropkick Murphys

My ears are still ringing from Night 2 of Dropkick Murphys at the House of Blues, Boston - and now I understand the draw to see this band!  They love this town, and the feeling is mutual.

My friend and I only caught the second of the two openers, Frank Turner & the Sleeping Souls, but I definitely liked what I heard.  They're from England and have a folk/punk sound to them.  I liked 'The Road' a lot.  Frank spoke passionately about "real punk/rock and roll bands" and how the real ones aren't "stuck behind barriers" and actually meet their fans and are grateful.  Amen to that, sir. 

I will admit that I wasn't overly familiar with the Dropkicks' music, other than what I've heard on the radio or at Boston sports events, but I was lucky to have a friend with me who is a HUGE fan.  Shout-out to Angie for being my concert partner-in-crime!  "Deeds Not Words" was a song that stood out for me - "Where you gonna run to/ where you gonna hide?" 
                                                                                                                                     Who doesn't like a little Irish Step Dancing?

 The passion these musicians have comes through as they run back and forth across the stage.  I was glad to see one of the female musicians take the lead on a song - the crowd seemed to really dig it, too.  Another notable song: "Take 'Em Down" (I did a little research and discovered it was a song released in support of the Wisconsin Union workers).  Don't let the bastards get ya down, guys!  

Something that kinda made us laugh was when Ken Casey, one of the lead vocalists, poked fun at the somewhat tame mosh pit: "That’s not much of a pit out there!”  Not too long after that comment, Ken and some of the other guys sat down for a few more acoustic-sounding songs.  Dropkick Murphys + acoustic = does not compute. 
DKM Crest: Accordion, Hot Chick, Shackled/Praying Hands, Beer.

I now fully understand the purpose of those newsboy caps: they are to be worn to Dropkick Murphys shows.  Being that we were in Guy Central last night, about half of them were wearing them... I should have worn mine!  I would have fit right in.  I am now the proud owner of a Dropkicks tee shirt, which I will be sporting this weekend.  The Dropkicks definitely make out well coming to town for St. Patrick's Day, and it's great that they play so many shows to accomodate all of their fans.  Thanks to Radio 92.9 for a fun evening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment